With all the seasonal illnesses passing around let’s take a look at how we can strengthen the body’s immune system using natural ingredients found in most kitchens.
1. Garlic and onions – Garlic is a pungent superfood. The active components are allion and allicin, which have potent antiviral effects. Garlic is most effective in its raw state so if you can bear it try to chew a raw clove every three or four hours. Alternatively, try cutting cloves into pieces and swallowing them down like pills, or mixing crushed garlic with honey. Onions, also contain the antimicrobial compounds allion and allicin which are found in garlic. A tasty way to enjoy an abundance of onions is French Onion soup.
2. Berries, especially those with dark skin such as blueberries, have been found to have high concentrations of antioxidants which can help fight off flu viruses. Aim to eat at least one serving of raw berries every day, on their own or try adding to smoothies or porridge.
3. Spices such as turmeric, cloves, ginger and cinnamon are packed with antioxidants, which help improve the function of the immune system. Try adding to homemade curries or sprinkling cinnamon over porridge for breakfast. Fresh, grated ginger can also be added to hot water and lemon for a soothing drink, add a teaspoon of honey for sweetness and extra benefits.
4. Honey has natural antiseptic properties and because it coats your throat, it’s a great cold- and flu-friendly sore throat reliever. Plus its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties help fight infections such as viruses and bacteria.
5. Water. Make sure you keep the body hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. This can help keep your mucous membranes moist so they’re better able to trap viruses.
For further information on how an expert nutritionist can help you, contact the Nutritional Therapy Clinic. You can improve your nutrition, give your immune system a boost or lose weight. Call us on 0203 907 6848 or click here
*Disclaimer: The information and advice provided by The Nutritional Therapy Clinic is not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Any person suffering from conditions requiring medical attention, or who have symptoms that concern them, should consult a doctor. Testimonials on this site regarding weight loss and other issues are examples of what we have done for other clients and of what some of our clients have said about us. However, we cannot guarantee the results in any case. Your results may vary and every situation is different. Please see our disclaimer section for further information.