This delicious pudding is proof that you don’t have to deprive yourself over Christmas. The fruit provides a natural sweetness and a fabulous gooey texture. You can make it so that it’s wheat free and you can use an alternative to butter so that it’s suitable for those with dairy or gluten intolerance.
Makes 1 x 1 3/4 pint pudding; serves 8
- 450g/16oz dried mixed fruit (go for organic and check that there is no added sugar)
- 80g/3oz breadcrumbs (use rye bread if you cannot eat wheat, or millet, brown rice or quinoa flakes if you are gluten intolerant – available from health food stores)
- 80g/3oz ground almonds
- 40g/1.5oz chopped nuts (pecans, almonds and hazelnuts work well)
- 80g/3oz butter (or dairy free alternative) (for those watching their waist lines, use only 40g/1.5oz butter plus a mashed banana)
- 1 medium Bramley apple, chopped finely
- 2 eggs
- Juice of one orange (or 3 tbsp brandy if you are feeling decadent)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Half tsp grated nutmeg
- Half tsp mixed spice
- Half tsp ground cinnamon
- Mix together the dried fruit, nuts and breadcrumbs (or flakes), and rub in butter.
- Add the chopped apple and fruit juice.
- Beat eggs well and stir into the mixture with the spices.
- Add any lucky coins (well wrapped in greaseproof paper – not aluminium foil – to prevent metal poisoning).
- Place in a buttered 1 3/4 pint pudding basin and make a cover with 3 layers of greaseproof paper.
- Steam for 4 hours and a further hour when you are ready to eat it.
- Serve with natural yoghurt or cream.
For information on the weight loss, food intolerance or the metabolic balance programme for weight loss and hormonal balance call 0203 907 6848 for a free no obligation chat. We have appointments available in the New Year at our London and Colchester clinics.
*Disclaimer: The information and advice provided by The Nutritional Therapy Clinic is not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Any person suffering from conditions requiring medical attention, or who have symptoms that concern them, should consult a doctor. Testimonials on this site regarding weight loss and other issues are examples of what we have done for other clients and of what some of our clients have said about us. However, we cannot guarantee the results in any case. Your results may vary and every situation is different. Please see our disclaimer section for further information.